page top

Home Loan FAQs

Attention: open in a new window. Print


Do I have to be a member of Endeavour Mutual Bank to take out a loan?

In order to apply for a loan, you DO NOT need to be a member. Endeavour Mutual Bank is mutual Bank and as such is owned by its members, each one of whom is a shareholder. Therefore you must be a member of Endeavour Mutual Bank to take out a loan. 

Learn more about becoming a member.^

How much can I borrow?

Would you like to calculate how much you may be able to borrow? Use our Borrowing Power Calculator. ^

What costs do I need to consider?


The biggest initial cost is the deposit. This could range from 5% and above of the value of the property.

Registration fees

Registration fees are payable on a property purchase and on a mortgage.

Whenever a property changes hands, the change of ownership must be recorded with the appropriate State Titles Office. A document known as a Transfer of Land must be lodged, the cost of which varies in each State/Territory. Please contact your solicitor/conveyancer who can perform this task on your behalf.

There is also a government charge to register your mortgage document. We will pay the applicable state authority on your behalf. You will be charged at cost.

Legal Fees

Legal expenses for the average home purchase include:

  • Solicitors fees (between $500-$2000)
  • Survey and building certificate ($450)
  • Building inspection and pest report ($400-$500)

Searches and inspections

Contracts should never be exchanged until the necessary searches and inspections have been completed. Searches and inspections may include the following:

Title search

A Certificate of Title obtained from the Titles Office by your solicitor/conveyancer provides details of who owns the property and who else has an interest in it. This is a good way to research if there are any mortgages, caveats, restrictive covenants etc on the property which would affect the transfer of title.

Building inspection and pest report

The report completed by your building inspector will detail any building flaws, e.g. structural issues with the building or roof, damp etc. The pest report should detail any evidence of pest infestation. It will enable you to assess the cost of any required treatment. ^

How do I make repayments on the loan?

You can arrange to make your loan repayments either by payroll deduction, direct debit from your savings or transaction account, internet or telephone banking transfer, at any of our branches or using Bank@Post. ^

How often will I receive information on my account?

Statements are produced six monthly or more frequently on request. Duplicate statements can be requested at any time by contacting our offices.

Account information is also available through our Internet Banking and Phonelink services. ^

What security is required to take out a Home Loan?

Your loan must be secured by a registered mortgage over a residential owner occupied property. ^

Do I need to take out Home insurance?

Building insurance is required to be taken out equal to the amount stated in the recommendation on the property valuation. ^

Is a redraw facility available?

The Credit Union gives you the option of making extra repayments on your loan and then having the flexibility of being able to redraw on these extra repayments. Terms and conditions are available on application. ^

What is Lenders Mortgage Insurance?

Lenders mortgage insurance covers the Credit Union against a loss in the unlikely event that we have to exercise our right to sell the property due to ongoing default on loan repayments. It must not be confused with insurance designed to cover your lending obligations in the case of sickness, accident or involuntary unemployment. ^

Will I need to have Lenders Mortgage Insurance on my loan?

You will need to have Lenders Mortgage Insurance if your loan amount is more than 80% of the value of the property being used as security for the loan. ^

  You might be interested in: